Monday, December 8, 2008

Barberitos rolls a good one

By DREW HALL

After two trips to Barberitos on the Eastside of Athens in less than a week, I think impressed is a good word choice to describe my experience. Since Barberitos is my favorite restaurant already, I found I had to go twice, just in case, to see if I could find any flaws. It was hard.

My first trip was on Jerk Fish Fridays, which means, Fish Tacos! I personally had never been a fan of fish tacos because they just sound disgusting. I didn't think anyone should mix two perfectly good foods together to make some concoction I'd never venture to try. But, I tried it this Friday. It was superb. The fish was sauteed to goodness and mixed with just the right spice to make it delicious but not overrun with flavor. Top off the taco with their freshly made guacomole and some fresh sour cream and you're set. But, if you really want a taste that's over the top, you've got to add the chipotle ranch to your meal. A friend suggested it to me, and I've never eaten a burrito without it since.

Not only was the taco delicious, the chips were fresh out of the fryer and packed to the top with spice. Two different types of homemade salsa await you at the salsa bar and some of their special recipe hot sauce as well. I had Diet Coke to drink, but they also serve beer, both domestic and a few Mexican and local breweries. With my whole meal totaling $5.25, it was a good price for a lot better than Taco Bell.

My second trip on Sunday night I chose to try the ground beef Heavy D nachos. Though they are a little more expensive than the taco, I still found it tasty. I usually get steak, but decided to try the ground beef, once again looking for a flaw. The beef was dripping with flavor and it covered the nachos better than the steak in my opinion. Of course, nachos are usually eaten with your fingers, but these nachos piled high with guac, sour cream, mouth-watering melted cheese, and anything else you could think of, have to be eaten with a fork.

I'm a big guy, but I couldn't eat it all. And since it's right under $10 for the entire meal, it's good that most people could just share one helping. My dog Hank seconded my opinion as he inhaled my leftovers in the parking lot.

So, if you're looking for Mexican taste, without the sit-down and have-to-tip business and Taco Bell just isn't cutting it anymore. Go to Barberitos. With four locations in the Athens area, you've got to be close.

Verdict: Damn-good Mexican food, without the worry of tipping.

Barberitos
1860 Barnett Shoals Rd
Athens, GA 30605
(706) 549-9954
* approximate times
barberitos.com




View Larger Map

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had quite a number of discussions with my friends about how we respectively feel about Barberito's, and though we might agree with you on some things, we have actually almost boycotted this restaurant because it is so overpriced. The small $3.50 tacos are fit only for a child, and you have to pay $1.50 for a little tiny pansy cup of sour cream or even more for the same amount of guacamole! Seriously weak. This Athens-based chain is okay, but I've had much much better; I'd go to Willy's over Barberito's any day. They at least give you sour cream.

Anonymous said...

I must say, Drew, I agree with you 99% of the time in class. Sorry to say that this time, my opinion of Barberitos is the exact opposite of yours. The chips "full of spice" couldn't have been from this joint, unless you consider dry, persistently stale and flavorless chips tasty. I would at least appreciate a hint of salt! I only like beef at most mexican restaurants, and again, the beef here is bland. It tastes microwaved. The burritos are entirely too large in such a way that I don't know anyone who can take one bite and get a little of everything. Every time I have gone, I take 5 bites, throw the log of a burrito away (along with the $5-8 I spent on it), go home, and wallow in the pain that my stomach will shortly endure.

Colin Dunlop said...

This post was awesome! I've never been able to order anything but the burritos from this place, but I'm intrigued by how good your two meals were. I initially was scared of fish tacos too, but after trying them at Taqueria del Sol I'm pretty much convinced too. They're really good.
Glad to know what your dog thinks too. I've always believed that if the dog doesn't eat it, neither should you.

Hipster-Bullshit Feedback-Playlist said...

Drew, this opening paragraph is so you. ha, and I just know you through this wonderful class. But the opening is very catchy, fun, and humorous. NOT gonna lie, I normally wouldn't even consider a fish taco because yeh you're right, it just sounds gross. But being completely honest, reading this makes me want to at least try it (given I do trust Barberitos) and you! You give a well written review in detail about the food sprinkled with your own opinion throughout. I personally like the "I'm a big guy, but I couldn't eat it all." Good trustworthy way to say it's a lot! Nice job Drew. Man, now I'm hungry.

Alex Berry

Jennifer Paxton said...

I should be studying for finals right now but I have to defend my Barbs'. Their burritos are absolutely delicious and I can't go a week without one, and this is coming from a Tex-Mex + Mexican food enthusiast. As far as prices, I get the mini-burrito, which is like $5 and isn't as massively large as the other ones, which I personally can't finish.

OK, back to studying, but seriously, Barberito's is amazing.